Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Someone knew I was a product slut...

... so they sent me something I was actually coveting to review! I knew if I kept myself pure that good things would come to me! (Well, relatively pure...) I actually gasped when Allure magazine wrote that they were sending me a sample of the newest Chanel mascara for my review. Joy!!!

Chanel 'Exceptionnel' mascara is touted as providing 'intense volume and curl'. They have a new six-sided brush. Three sides of the brush look like very short eyebrow brush bristles and they alternate with three tiny combs. The specific instructions for applying it are similar to my own method for applying mascara: put mascara wand at base of lashes and roll out to the end of your lashes (I've always done this to make my lashes look incredibly long.)

Now, I love curling mascaras as I don't always have time to use an eyelash curler. I also love Chanel Inimitable mascara, so I felt sure I would adore Exceptionnel. Sadly, I was really underwhelmed by Exceptionnel. One coat gave okay coverage and okay curl, but two coats became a glommy Tammy Faye-esque look. I had to attack my lashes with a comb to de-gunk. When I'm spending $26-27 dollars on a mascara, I don't expect to have to wipe off most of the product. It just seems a waste.

Also, I'm not a fan of these huge brushes anymore. I just don't find them handy. They don't get the tiny inner lashes well at all and I seem to accidentally brush my eyeball instead of my lashes at least once during the application process. (I would just like to point out that this NEVER happens with my Chanel Inimitable.)

I still love Chanel, but I'd suggest you spend your hard-earned mascara dollars on Inimitable over Exceptionnel.

No comments: