Monday, October 20, 2008

Part two of the Sephora trip Reviews

In an earlier blog, I raved about Kat Von D's new lipsticks and how a friend bought her True Romance eye shadow palette in Beethoven. Well, I still love the lipsticks and my friend LOVES that eyeshadow. After admiring her eyes every Tuesday night Girl's Night since she purchased the palette, I decided I MUST have it myself. It's a gorgeous array of cool tones and sexy neutrals (navy blue, black, dark brown, a couple of purples, gray and a great pale yellow called Tequila). The entire top of the palette has a great mirror and it comes with two double-ended brushes for easy application. I don't usually like the brushes that come with palettes, but these make it easy to line your eyes and/or to amp up your day eye to a sexy smokey eye while you're on the go. They're not really ideal for covering your whole lid with color, but that's what fingers are for!

I'd also been admiring her Rock and Roll eye shadow duos, but finally got sucked in when I read the color name of one duo: Sixxshooter. My boyfriend is a life-long Motley Crue fan and Nikki Sixx is his man-crush (although he's a little taken aback by Nikki dating the very much younger Kat, but I guess that's rock and roll for you). I did buy it just for the name, but I would recommend it to anyone. It's a glittery grey and a silky gunmetal duo. Grey is THE eye color for this season, so it's a good buy. Again, there is a fantastic mirror in the lid of the duo that's as good for shadow application as it is for touching up your lips. The duo and a lipstick would fit in your pocket or tiny purse and you'd be good to go for the night!

There were also a bunch of new glittery lip glosses added to her collection. The Lightning Lip Glosses looked almost as glittery in the tube as Urban Decay's Heavy Metal Eyeliners, but like the eyeliners, they don't have a whole lot of glittery payoff. (Thank you, Sephora, for lip gloss testers!) I guess they're ok as lip glosses go, but I didn't feel the need to buy one.

Let me confess that I'm a lazy lipstick girl. I prefer a softer looking mouth to a sharp, precise lip. Therefore, I don't buy many lip liners (with the notable exception of my one Chanel lip liner that I bought because of the attached lip brush). Since I get weekly emails from most of the cosmetic companies, I've been wondering about the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On lip pencils. Since I have so many red lipsticks, I thought the brick red Gash would work well for me. Well, it sure does - there's quite a bit of pigment in the color and it does indeed glide on. It lasted through 2 ciders, a hot dog and three cocktails before I saw fading - and that was just me wearing the lip liner with lip balm to soften the color! I can't wait to see how it supports my lipsticks!

As stated earlier, I do buy many products based on their color name. I am a total sucker for a clever name and a good color. Nail polishes get me EVERY time. Now that Sephora has gone back to offering nail color in a big way with their Sephora by OPI Nail Polishes, I knew I was a goner. I bought It's All About Me (a softer hot pink), Opening Night (a dark, luscious navy shimmer), Never Enough Shoes (black with multi-glitter) and their base coat and top coat. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with them. It takes FOREVER to dry and too many coats to get the color that's in the bottle. I know I will keep buying them, but China Glaze Nail Lacquers are still the best value around.

Last, but certainly not least, I grabbed Stila's Convertible Color compact in Poppy. It's an orangey-red cream color that goes on easily. I loved the sheer wash of color on my cheeks and that I could build the color up deeper on my lips. Again, it has a great mirror in the lid so it's perfect for the girl-on-the-go.

I want to take a moment to talk about Sephora's Beauty Insider program. Like any frequent buyer program, you earn one point per dollar spent. Up until recently, you could only 'spend' 100 points at a time on a 'deluxe' sample. I like samples, but there hasn't been one that wowed me since I got the Hard Candy eye shadow single in Buttered Popcorn. Also, I NEVER spend less than $100 at Sephora (either online or in-person), so I kept my 'Beauty Bank' topped up all the time. Since I'm obviously NOT the only one who has a product problem, Sephora upped their game. Now, with a 500 point balance, you can spend it on a new 'gift'. I got a bare Escentuals travel palette with two brushes, a lip gloss, eye shadow, Mineral Veil and blush on this last trip to Sephora. I can't wait to save up more points!!

No comments: